www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Driver info

Default Driver info

1) check your FAST CARDS!!!! The first round of cards that were issued are coming up on their expiry dates.

2) Revenue Canada has increased the meal allowance from $15/meal to $17 meal for 2006. If you run across the border that portion of your expenses is also eligible for the average exchange rate of 2006.

3) If you run into any U.S seaport.................pay attention to the news. TWIC cards are going to become a reality and without them you will be refused access to the port.

4) If you plan on a vacation around Christmas ensure you have a passport. You might be refused re-entry into your home country. Air travel is going to require one after Jan 1 2007.
    You can't fix stupid

Great start Buzzy.
    Anyone with questions, or any more info, please post it.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Default Re: Driver info

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy
    1) check your FAST CARDS!!!! The first round of cards that were issued are coming up on their expiry dates.

2) Revenue Canada has increased the meal allowance from $15/meal to $17 meal for 2006. If you run across the border that portion of your expenses is also eligible for the average exchange rate of 2006.

3) If you run into any U.S seaport.................pay attention to the news. TWIC cards are going to become a reality and without them you will be refused access to the port.

4) If you plan on a vacation around Christmas ensure you have a passport. You might be refused re-entry into your home country. Air travel is going to require one after Jan 1 2007.
    Buzzy, The Federal meal allowance is not a law. It's a guideline only.

Have a read:

http://www.highwaystarmagazine.com/meal_tax.cfm

And read this:

The Wilkinson Tax case or simply click on it under the Highway Star story.

http://www.highwaystarmagazine.com/transcript2.pdf
    I thought I had made a mistake until I realised that it was just an error.

Default Passport-Fast cards

Here we go again....more changes.Oh well,I have both now if I ever would need them.

Ambassador confirms FAST to be used in lieu of passport
    11/17/2006
    ETOBICOKE, Ont. -- One could sense that the Canada-U.S. relationship is stronger than it was a couple years ago in listening to U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins address delegates at the Ontario Trucking Association annual convention yesterday.
    It could be as a result of a more U.S.-friendly government in Ottawa, but Wilkins made it clear several times his government's commitment to maintaining the close-knit business relationship the world's two largest trading partners share today.

"My focus and the focus of the Bush administration is to strengthen our relationship with our partner and friend," he said at the convention's opening breakfast. "I promise you, that's not just words."

Wilkins also confirmed that truckers would be able to use a FAST card as a substitute for a passport, which, under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) signed by Bush in 2004, will be required for both Canadians and Americans entering the U.S. by land after June 1, 2009.

The rule was supposed to take affect this coming New Year, but Wilkins said successful lobbying by businesses and trucking groups like the OTA convinced U.S. officials to delay it another 17 months.

Wilkins urged travelers and truckers to get their passports or FAST credentials as soon as possible, however. "A delay is only just that," he said.

Despite a Democratic win in both the U.S. Congress and the Senate last week, the improved trade relationship between Canada and the U.S. is not in jeopardy, Wilkins told the audience. He also hinted that President Bush could veto any protectionist bills he didn't agree with.

"I don't think those who control the house and Senate can alone affect the trade relationship with Canada," he said. "The president is still in charge, his policies are still being enforced."

Liner,
    I have gone to many customs seminars, only to hear the next day that they changed their minds on how things are to be done. You can never keep up with them.
    This is why I try to keep up on as much as I can.
    As I keep saying, you learn something new every day in this wonderful industry of ours.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Pipeman

as I recall I never stated the meal allowance to be law:

In regards to Air Travel and Passports

This law takes effect Jan 8 2007 and applies to ANYONE requesting entry into the U.S via air travel. LAND AND MARINE travel are not affected YET.
    You can't fix stupid

Oh...so what you meant was that Revenue canada ( Canada Customs Revenue Agency as they are now known) have incresed the Meal Allowance GUIDELINE !
    I thought I had made a mistake until I realised that it was just an error.

8. Default um

Revenue Canada in Ontario handles income taxes, CCRA is the commercial end of it..
    No cheap freight---no cheap drivers--know what your AZ is worth
    Mighty hunter leaves wounded animal to suffer and die!!