www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE NEW NEWBEES' FORUM

Default THE NEW NEWBEES' FORUM

Hey gang.

I'm off and out on the road in a few minutes. I'll be gone at least till Thursday.

If there is anything you'd like to see here or think we should stay away from, POST IT!

When I get back I'll put up a bunch of links to some sites that will be a help to any driver.

Till then................GET YOUR TRAINER something nice for xmas.
    You can't fix stupid

Stay safe buzzy

Please do stay safe over this holiday week.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

4. Default gifts

Good gifts for trainers include, seat belt wooly pad(cushion) those hard stops, and a blindfold for those scarier manouvers....
    No cheap freight---no cheap drivers--know what your AZ is worth
    Mighty hunter leaves wounded animal to suffer and die!!

A yearly prescription for valium is another good one.
    You can't fix stupid

Mr.Hemi Guest

Default The New Newbees Forum

A hockey helmet makes agreat gift for a trainer!

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

The only thing a trainer needs is a big stick

8. Default Training

The only person I ever taught to drive was my wife. She had to be careful as I was really dumn in the beginning tyed my truck and our house into the same loan never,never ever do that, the stress is nowhere near worth it..
    No cheap freight---no cheap drivers--know what your AZ is worth
    Mighty hunter leaves wounded animal to suffer and die!!

Default NEWBIE NEEDS HELP

I am not yet OTR, but looking at making a career change in approx. 3yrs.......family, financial and current employer obligations & committments dont allow me to now.

I am in process of preparing for this transition & I am aware of the hardships. With proper prep work, it should be a smooth transition.

I have spoke to many people in the industry, some of who have given me encouragement and advise. Others, not so positive a response & certainly some questionable advice.

The biggest piece of advice I question is advising me NOT to take a course. Any feedback on this? I suggested to the person that they teach me to drive........he has 30yrs experience truck & coach. Still waiting for a response from him. In most cases, the larger companies will not hire without a course and smaller companies wont hire without 1-2yrs experience! Next, which training centre or school is best?

Please feel free to jump in, your advice or comments welcome.

Thanks again to the welcoming committee.

Becareful out there. Drive Safely!

Accremonious Guest

Hi EasternOntario,
    Depending on your age, and previous training, I suggest that without the certificate of training from a recognized commercial truck driving school you will have an uneccessay amount of difficulty finding your first job(s) to get enough experience to gain full time work, never mind over the road!

The bench mark of the Truck Driving Schools is Markel in Guelph, Ont. That is because it is sponsored by one of the last Insurance companies to still insure large commercial vehicles. They strive to produce the best qualified drivers because they have a vested interest in reducing insurance claims and they are showing good corporate citizenship by putting something back into the industry which makes their business thrive. Not every one can attend or qualify, I would guess due to the location and cost. Part of which these higher fuel prices contribute to the higher costs.
    Next would be those sponsored by any of the Community Colleges but conditional on the quality of their instructor in each case.
    The last time I checked out costs was 1 3/4 years ago, and it was at least $2000.xx and more depending on your personal progress on the practical skill development side.
    Even then many of the medium sized companies are reluctant to hire you without any experience. Quote, "you have not had your first one or two accidents yet. Come back once you have at least 2 years experience."
    Some of the smaller truck driving schools are OK if you research out and find that the individual instructor is a highly competent driver and a good communicator. There are a few that I have heard that you should stay away from, but get that personally, verbally with some reputable source. Many will not say it publicly due to the libel laws and the aggravation defending what maybe a perfectly correct statement!
    Once you do have your ticket, a good choice for your first job is one of the very biggest companies that send you out with a driver trainer in a team set up. SchneiderNational comes to mind as does JB Hunt, and someone else can add to this list.
    Remember, what we said to the other chap, this is not a job, and it is more than a career. Driving transport, specially OTR is a way of life! As I told my wife the first time she rode with me and wanted to know what to bring, I said this is a different style of camping! She was between jobs, and later in the next credit collection position for a very large leasing company that dealt with both individual owner/ops and various sized companies, she was able to counter the statement "Oh you don't know what it is like out here on the road"! I still recall the night she verbally sent a lot lizard running off with very few words, non of which were foul!
    My wifes hair was standing on end and their was fire in the eyes and voice! (Rest area I-75 N/B mile 09, Mich.) It was just priceless!
    Another word of advice, you must be very careful in your planning how you operate from not just a financial point but a personal care way from food, showers, laundry, and sleep the key lifesaver! How you deal with and get along with strangers away from home is also critical. There are many hazards that you encounter out there that the general public do not experience in a more sheltered lifestyle. Frankly, I must have had horse shoes where the sun doesn't shine to have survived!
    How you get the job done when the shipper or receiver is trying to rip you and your employer off! If you are too belligerent, even though they were at fault, they will phone up your boss and try to get you fired! This is a very tough racket you want into. I hope you are fully aware and prepared because it is not for everyone! One mistake and your license maybe revoked, or your ability to cross the border can be compromised.
    Are you prepared to change companies at short notice, because when a regular contract gets rebid and under bid by the competition, you the drivers are the first persons to lose!
    In this world there is less and less loyalty to everyone and everything except S Double Bar on the bottom line ($), so welcome to our world of special insanity. Be resilient, but don't let them walk all over you. (Non corborundum illegitimus) which is Latin for Don't Let the *******s Grind You Doon Laddie!