www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips tricks and good old fashioned advice to the new truckers

Default Tips tricks and good old fashioned advice to the new truckers

I thought i'd start a thread where us older experienced driver could post helpfull tips and or hints for new truckers.. A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from others mistakes lol..So the experinced older giuys post your helpfull hints safety tips etc here and the new giys if you have a specific question on some thing post it here and we will do our best to answer it for you

Default Re: Tips tricks and good old fashioned advice to the new truckers

Proper way to belly wrap a load.. I lay my belt accross the deck with the d ring/hook rsting on the winch barrel.. once loaded I throw the belt over the load.. then go around the other side and pull the d ring out enough to get it over the load.. then throw it over, making sure that nthe straps dont over lap onto each other.. And I have modified my 45 ft straps that I use as belly wraps by using the ones that have that short tail chain on them so that you canm off set where you attach it so that you are sure you dont overlap your straps.. I put on closer to center and one for and aft on the pipe,, the rear one close to the box ends so that the collars of the pipe are almost interlocks once secure .. that helps to keep pipe from shooting ahead in the case of a fast stop

Jan-20 002.jpg
    Last edited by OilPatchTrucker; 12-02-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Just about every one has a digital camera these days.. I carry one with me all the time(easy to see that I do huh??lol) what I sometimes do is when I have a load that is heavy or has float equipment etc.. once loaded and secured I take a pic and now I have proof that I did what I needed to do as far as loading properly and securing it with the proper number of straps and straped in the right way..

Winter driving tips:

Power dividers (inter-axle lockers) are hard on fuel. Don't use them more than you need to, but NEVER engage them while spinning. Load heaviest on the drive axles if you have a choice, and don't use engine retarders at full power in slippery conditions. Don't use them at all in very slippery conditions. This, of course, involves leaving yourself more room to slow or stop.

If you have to chain up a drive axle, don't lock the cross-axle locker except on straight stretches, or it will tear up your chains. Remove your chains as soon as you can: Chain up 6 times a day if you have to. It's cheaper than buying new ones.

The slipperiest conditions occur near 0 degrees celsius. Colder than -5, it gets marginally better.

If temps drop below -40, park it. Things break in that weather, and you don't want to walk. (You are inexperienced. When you are not, you will know of some exceptions.)

There are more ...

When the day comes when you think you know it ALL, hang the keys up and walk away before you hurt yourself or someone else.
    You can't fix stupid

With the advent of APU's, gensets, Pro heats and espar heaters ensure the exhaust is properly vented away from the tractor. In the winter make sure you clean out the exhaust pipe after driving through a storm.

Carbon Monoxide will kill you just as fast in an idleing tractor as it will in a house.
    You can't fix stupid

The little pop up tops from dish soap bottles fit onto meythyl hydrate (air brake anti freeze bottles) Great for squirting into glad-hands.
    You can't fix stupid

Dress yourself and equip your tractor for the worst possible weather you can think of. Carry extra food and clothing even if it's nice and sunny out where you are.

Today, Dec 2nd, I have two drivers stranded on the interstate outside of Buffalo in a snow storm. They haven't moved in 12 hours. 20 miles either side of them the roads are clear.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
    The little pop up tops from dish soap bottles fit onto meythyl hydrate (air brake anti freeze bottles) Great for squirting into glad-hands.
    I had Alcohol Dispensers (sniffers) mounted on all my trailers including one on the tractors also.
    I thought I had made a mistake until I realised that it was just an error.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
    When the day comes when you think you know it ALL, hang the keys up and walk away before you hurt yourself or someone else.
    Been out here 34 years and still learning.. good advice.. if ya ever find your self with a guy who knows it all keep far away from him as he's the one that will get you hurt...