www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Cop cars

Default Cop cars

Got stopped at a Ministry checkpoint last week, so took a photo of these two Police BMW's that were pulling the trucks of the road.

You can't miss those car's. .

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Accremonious Guest

Default Cop Cars

Hey Woodie, How do the authorities justify spending those kind of dollars(ie. Pounds) on that expensive a cruiser model? Over here there would be one awful howl over wasteful bureaucratic spending especially on a non domestic brand and model. Do the Ministry cops have to provide their own cruisers (if so they are over paid!) or are these gov't issue? In any case there would be serious repercussions in N.America regardless of the justifications conjured up!

Those cars belong to the traffic division of the police, they always get the best. The regular local cops get the run of the mill production line saloon cars.

The ministry (VOSA as they are called now) can not stop you themselves, hence the reason the police are there. However this is changing and in England at the moment almost all the local Police Authorities have given VOSA the power to pull vehicles over themselves.

Back to the subject of the police cars, all the traffic cars are top of the range motors with performace tuned engines.

Accremonious Guest

Default Police cruisers

Still think that is a waste of tax payers moola! Here in N. America we see some forces with Chevy Camaro s or Ford Mustangs and Crown Victorias used for chase cars, there maybe a few older luxury cars used for under cover work, but the pressure on budgets and bureaucrats for overspending is in some quarters intense. Also the average fleet of marked cruisers suffers frequent damages requiring significant body and mechanical repairs or even write offs. When these vehicles are miled out or end of lease they are usually flogged at auctions by the leesors as a recovery of assets management practice. Most people who want a good used vehicle will not buy an abused cruiser, but will for a winter beater on the salted roads it may be used to preserve a much better first car from the ravages of winter driving.

When I watch American films, I get the impression that you use your police cars as battering rams and think nothing of forcing cars off the road. In the UK, we use 'stingers' (a grid of hollow nails, which is thrown in front of speeding cars to puncture all four tyres, bringing the car to a stop safely).

Regards, your comments about a waste of money. Yes, you're probably quite right, however there isn't a single Government department, that you could say spends money wisely.

We use those here too Woodie, it's just that we like a bit of a race 1st. I wanted to be a cop, but they wouldn't give me a gun.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Accremonious Guest

Default Cop cars, nail belts and chases

Yes, Woodie, our cops have the spike belts, and traffic duty cruisers equipped with special bumpers, and other devices, too! We have numerous TV programs documenting the criminality and stupidity on our highways. If you can get satellite access to TV shows like COPS, also there are internet sites as well. The aggravating part to me is how much I have to pay in tax dollars for the damages to public property ie. auto body shop work. I live in Durham Region (like a county) just East of Toronto that encompasses Oshawa, Bowmanville, Whitby, Ajax, Pickering, Brooklyn, Port Perry, etc. Our Durham Region Police cruisers are frequently sent out to autobody shops for repairs caused by chases of either drunks, druggies, armed bandits, car thieves, etc. These repairs are usually bid on by competing shops that are on an approved list of "acceptable vendors". At one time the police used to have their own garage and mechanics, but the job is too large and variable in frequency plus the private sector can do it cheaper and more efficiently.

Yes we have all those sort of programs too.......maybe that's the trouble, instead of just stopping a stolen car, the cop wants to get some good video footage, in the hope that he'll make it onto television.

p.s. Thank God they didn't give you a gun Holly..