www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: For Those Wanting To Buy An XM Radio In The Future..........

Default For Those Wanting To Buy An XM Radio In The Future..........

According to this news posted at xmfan.com, new XM Radio units will no longer be equipped with the widely used wireless FM modulators like in years past.

XM's new SureConnect Technology requires you to "clip" on a small dongle around your vehicle's outside FM antenna. Your new version radio will then send the FM signal along this wired route to your car's FM antenna. You can then listen to your XM through your FM radio as you did before. Only now, there is no chance of your FM broadcast to bleed over to the cars next to you. If you don't have an external FM antenna on your car, don't worry-- it's also compatible with on-the-glass FM antennas. If you have a retractable antenna, or a roof-top antenna, XM's new SureConnect technology is NOT compatilble with your vehicle.

Why use SureConnect? The FCC has been cracking down on both XM and Sirius regarding their FM modulators being too powerful. Sirius' solution was to simply lower the output of the FM modulator. This may be a simple solution, however the modulator is so weak, you can hear a lot of static and interference. XM's answer to the FCC issue was to create SureConnect. You will still hear XM through your FM loud and clear, only now you will need to connect a dongle to your antenna.
    What's screwed up for us who drive trucks is that the AM/FM antenna on our cab is NOT usually (if ever) in the same vicinity as a fender-mount antenna on most cars or pickup trucks.

Many of us in company trucks will find that our options may be limited to one of the following:

*Use the included cassette adaptor that comes with most car kits (Obviously IF you still have a truck equipped with a cassette player).

*Get the Delphi XM Direct Adapter & connect it inline with your stereo's FM antenna wire.

*If you have an FM modulator/lighter cord for a Delphi Roady 1, put the 1/8" male audio transmitter plug into the audio out of your new unit. This will require two lighter sockets to get it to work, as the power supply on the FM modulator plug will likely be different than that of your new radio. This is the most practical & least costly option for those who "slip-seat" trucks equipped with FM radios.

The next two options will provide you with the best sound quality:

*Buy an XM-equipped AM/FM CD player (like the Alpine CDA-9820XM). This radio only needs an XM antenna (red square connector) to recieve XM programming once a subscription is activated.

*If your truck's stereo has an AUX Input on the front, get an 1/8" male-to-male 3-conductor cord like this one that can be purchased at Radio Shack. Plug one end into the "Audio Out" of your XM, and the other into the "Aux In" on your car stereo. I did this on an old Alpine CD head unit that I installed in my Freightliner, but I had to buy this adapter that plugs into the Ai-Net jack on the back that's normally used with a CD changer.

About the only other option for those that need a portable unit that can be used in different vehicles would be to go with a Sirius unit, but from what I have read they decreased the wireless FM modulator output on theirs. Of course, whether you want to do that would also depend on what kind of programming you prefer to listen to.
    No liability or guarantees implied for any information posted.

Got rid of my XM radio 5 moths ago and went to Sirius because it had a few channels on there that suited me better. The Delphi Radio I had with XM is better than the one I have with Sirius. I hear that XM and Sirius are hoping to merge. So if that happens, I hope I can go back to using the Delphi for my programming.