www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customs Paperwork????

Default Customs Paperwork????

Hi Ya'll;

Would anyone be kind enough to enlighten this newbie on the paperwork needed and how to properly do it when crossing the border.

Also when traveling in the U.S. what is required???? SSR3, Cab cards, IFTA stickers, special plates etc.

I know it's allot to ask and I don't mind the school of hard knocks but when it starts knocking my wallet it's time to look for help.

Thanks in advance....Tim

Hi Nomad

Let me ask you a few question's before you get any answer's.

Is the trk your's, or a co. trk?
    What do you drag? Van, refer, flatdeck???

What province do you live in?

Once we know about the equipment, we will be better able to answer your question's.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Hi Hellcat.

I live in Alberta and have been driving mostly offroad in the oilfield up north.

I am now driving dry van mostly state-side and it is not my own truck.

I hope that helps, any input would be greatly appreciated...Tim

Quote Originally Posted by hellcat_99
    Hi Nomad

Let me ask you a few question's before you get any answer's.

Is the trk your's, or a co. trk?
    What do you drag? Van, refer, flatdeck???

What province do you live in?

Once we know about the equipment, we will be better able to answer your question's.

Holly
    This has to be the MOST irrelevant question/answer that could be asked pertaining to the question posed!

SSR (single State Registration) is on hold for now...they're coming up with something new.

Cab Cards are required...and if you're in a jurisdiction they should be listed on your cab card OR you should have a trip permit.

IFTA stickers on both sides of the truck...this year they a color that is hidden well by salt and dirt do they should be wiped off every morning to make them visable OR place them where they won't attract as much dirt. ie: vent windows

You will need a U.S. Customs decal or pay each time you cross the border. A FAST card is something you should be getting as is a passport.

You may think so Ralph, but it does make a difference. Instead of trying to jump down my throat, why not just post what you know. If I made a mistake, just correct me. You don't need to add ant snide comments you may have. This is a trking board, not an arguing board.

Thankx for the info on the SS permits. I hadn't heard about that.

Nomad,
    this is a company trk. They will have all the permits on the trk to be able to run the US. It's up to the company to have the trk permited for the US.

Ralph is right about the FAST card & Passport.

As for custom's paper wrk, it should be set up @ least 2 hr's before you get to the border. Some companies now have people in place to do the custom's paper work. The new program is called ACE. If your paperwork isn't cleared by the time you get to the border, you will be turned away from the border & sent back until it's cleared. You will no longer to this @ the border.

Holly

Holly

www.sosoconvoy.com

I live in Manitoba but i work in Alberta.

Hey Nomad....
    What made you quit driving oilfield? I am thinking about going there to Alta from Manitoba as work here is really slow. I'm not sure what you made there but you will have to run long and hard if you think you will come close to what you made in Alta. Good luck in your new endeavour.

Hey Double T;

There is good jobs in the patch and bad ones.
    Some are ass cracking young man's jobs. Some are living in camp jobs with heartburn for weeks on end.
    If I was you get into hauling pipe or suck truck.
    Thanks for all your help....Tim

I live in Manitoba but i work in Alberta.

Thanks for the info. Yes this is a camp job. 7 days in 7 days out. Great food at this camp as a buddy of mine works there. My buddy said he is sorry he never took the job 2 years ago when he had the chance too.You have a choice of either a suck truck or pressure truck. I'm no spring chicken but i have never been afraid of hard work. One has never drown in their own sweat.

I have a job if i want with a stepdeck outfit out of Winnipeg but my wife has some concerns about me being all over the place. This job she knows where my head will be every night.

Accremonious Guest

Default US Customs paper work and documentation.

This subject is a very serious and potentially costly endevour. It cannot be thoroughly dealt with in the confines of a forum posting. I was licensed for over 14 years and transbordered for almost 12 before I retired 1 1/4 years ago after 1 million miles plus. If it goes in a dry van, refer, or container, I probably hauled it out of Southern Ont. into one or more or the 45 states that I got into. On 3 occassions I had a load which was refused or seized. (I was not charged for any of these problems, luckily) What you should and dont know about crossing the border can and will hurt you. I STRONGLY recommend that you get an expert with current experience to teach you what not to do and what you must do. This is CYA literally! If you get to read this and wish to email me specific questions I will try to help, but I know that I am not totally current with the situations today, but much of what us older drivers know still applies! accremonious@gmail.com

Thank you for your info & also for helping out other driver's. This is almost a lost art in this industry.
    You are so right about keeping up with the changes customs makes when they so feel like it.
    You need to ck in more so you can help answer any questions.

Holly

www.sosoconvoy.com