www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Opening a can of worms!!!

Default Opening a can of worms!!!

Yesterday I heard on the radio that there is a driver shortage in the long-haul secter of our industry. You and I know this isn't true.

I was once a OTR driver. I left because illness on my wifes side of the family required me to be home. I was also sick of bad dispatches and ignorant border guards.

I know there are a lot of CDL holders out there who no longer drive.

My question is this.... What would it take to get a former long haul driver back in the saddle again???

Ron
    I'm not perfect!-FLHT Ron 2010

2. Default

Tough question, I work days only, daycab tractor, home everynite, no weekends, made over 60 thou last year. Ex OTR driver 28 years cost to coast. What could they offer me???
    No cheap freight---no cheap drivers--know what your AZ is worth
    Mighty hunter leaves wounded animal to suffer and die!!

Not much at all Drifter!!

If I am going to have to drive a truck it would be pretty hard to pry me out of this brown Mack I drive for UPS.

Unless they want to replace them with some nice KW's or Petes............

but I dont see UPS doin that for us any time soon!!
    doin the 2 stick boogie!

Mr.Hemi Guest

Default Opening a can of worms!!!

Well since the industry now is recognized as a trade by the government,how about trade like wages to start comparable or close to other trades.Home every weekend for at least 48 hrs off minimum before going out again.Full benefits company paid.These are just a few that would entice me back to start.

I am gonna go try longhaul for a bit one of these days. I don't see why anyone would stay at longhaul forever tho, unless they really like it.

I have had no problem getting local home everyday jobs.
    Alot of times OTR pays a little better tho, and usually the trucks and trailers are alot newer.

I would love it if there was a company that let drivers switch back and forth between long haul and local whenever they wanted, like even every other week! I would love that! Like right now i would go run long haul for awhile then switch back local for awhile.

And all OTR trucking should be paid by the hour, anytime the truck is moving it should be by the hour, and anytime the driver is doing something required of the job, like loading and unloading and fueling should be by the hour too.
    Maybe just flat rate salary would be better. All companies should guarentee $250 per day gross for OTR. And then just fire lazy drivers who won't work!

Default Re: Opening a can of worms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hemi
    Well since the industry now is recognized as a trade by the government,how about trade like wages to start comparable or close to other trades.Home every weekend for at least 48 hrs off minimum before going out again.Full benefits company paid.These are just a few that would entice me back to start.

It's amazeing that in the "Help Wanted" section of The Sun they list AZ drivers under "General Help Wanted" and forklift drivers under "Skilled Trades"!! Figure that one out please??

Ron
    I'm not perfect!-FLHT Ron 2010