www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: What to do....

I live in Manitoba but i work in Alberta.

Default What to do....

Well folks i kinda have a problem that i have been thinking alot about. I drive locally here (Manitoba/Sask) pulling super-b grain hoppers. For the most part i am home every night. Here comes the but.....work has really slowed down and i am not getting my hours that i am used too. The boss doesn't really seem to care about us drivers and o/o's that are not working. He just says there isn't alot of work.

Yet the other companies around here are running pretty steady while we sit. So i have contacted some companies and i was told by one outfit that i pretty much have a job with them pulling stepdeck. They have a 07 Kw with a 07 stepdeck waiting at their yard. Now since i am home every night my wife doesn't really like the idea of me being away for 6-8 nights then home for a few nights then back on the road again. I got my T-4 yesterday and it shows that i have been sitting alot and with a kid in University we need a good steady second income.

So i am asking you fine folks what you would do? I know there is the extra expenses of being on the road but do i take this new job or sit at home not working making nothing or half of my normal wage.......

Been there etc.

It's going to be hard for anyone here to tell you what to do. Only you know your situation. I was in your boat last year at this time! I kept asking my company whether I was laid off or not. They kept telling me that there should be work "next week".

Luckily for me I found work plowing snow until I could figure out what to do. Now I drive for a construction company when the weather is good and snow plow when it isn't.

I know this doesn't help you much but I, for one, am not going to tell you to take the OTR job.

My best advice for you is to do what you think is right.

Ron
    I'm not perfect!-FLHT Ron 2010

Sit down with your wife, & write down toe pro's & con's of both.
    Like Ron said, it has to be both of your's decision. See where you can make the most money now, & if there is a future @ this new company.
    Once you have it on paper, you will see it more clearly.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Been there, done that, got the Tee Shirt and Video.

It has to be a partnered decision. Do the pros and cons thing.

You have to survive too. How you do it is the toughest decision to make. Going OTR and then doing it with a step-deck is not an easydecision, even for a regular experienced long-haul driver.

Trust me! I pull flats and steps. I have the sprains and bruises to prove it.
    You can't fix stupid

I live in Manitoba but i work in Alberta.

Thanks all for the advice. But i am throwing another loop at you. I talked with my wife and she really doesn't want me away for that period of time...BUT another job is also available to me in Alberta. This job requires me to be away for 7 days then i am home for 7 days and so on and so on. I know the Alberta job will pay alot more and i stay in a camp with 2 really good cooks as i guy i know well is working at the same job. He is already making $20+ dollars as hour and he is due to go to the top rate near the end of Jan. and that rate is damm near $30 an hour.

Yes i know i'll be away but my wife likes the idea she knows i'll be at a camp site every night and not in some little town or in the middle of nowhere. It's long work but i used to run a family owned gravel crushing firm so 13- 15 hr days was the norm. I'll be phoning the guy out west and do some asking tomorrow.

Listen to BW. In whatever you do, I hope it works for you.
    I also have a woman's website your wife would love.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Double T ----- If you are going back on the road or to camp there are many web sites that your wife might be interested in for moral support. One of the best is L.O.A.D.S. (hope I'm allowed to say this) which stands for "Loved ones and driver support".

The site is run by the wife of a OTR driver and has 99% female readers and posters. We allow a few men in if they behave

The support is there for your wife and I am sure that the two of you will weather the storm.

Best wishes
    Betty