www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: challenger motor freight

Default challenger motor freight

The Teamsters are launching their campaign to organize Challenger's workers

11-27-2009
    EST
    Toronto, November 27, 2009 – Today, the Teamsters Union launches its campaign to organize Challenger group workers, which includes Challenger Motor Freight, Elgin Motor Freight, and Lodwick Transport.

After receiving numerous phone calls from Challenger workers, the Teamsters Union decided to set up a team that will enter into contact with them.

"The truckers have had enough of their employer's arbitrary decisions and contacted us since we are the leading union in the road transport industry in Canada," explained Robert Bouvier, president of Teamsters Canada. "Some of these individuals allegedly suffer undue pressure from their bosses; we consider this to be unacceptable behavior that will be corrected in the very near future."

It also seems that the workers of the three trucking companies have not received a pay increase since 2003 and also have no retirement plan.

"The strength of our union enables us to bargain working conditions that are the envy of workers in all industries," added the Teamsters Canada’s president. "More than 20,000 workers have understood this and have joined us over the past few years. There are surely reasons for this."

Several elements of the non-monetary and work organization clauses are said to be at the heart of the dispute between Challenger, Elgin, and Lodwick and their workers, in particular forced dispatch, seniority, and switches.

"These workers are the basis for the success of these companies and they deserve respect," advised Robert Bouvier. "The success of a trucking company is not built in the offices of top management, but rather on board its trucks."

The campaign, which begins this morning, affects nearly 1,500 workers in all areas of Canada.

The Teamsters union represents tens of thousands of truckers in North America and has hundreds of local unions in the United States and Canada.

Teamsters Canada has launched a bilingual informational website for workers at Challenger, Elgin, and Lodwick. The site can be accessed at ............. see belowThe Teamsters Union represents 125,000 members in Canada in all trades. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, with which Teamsters Canada is affiliated, has 1.4 million members in North America.

-30-
    Last edited by buzzy; 12-29-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: removed link

Default Re: challenger motor freight

Good!!!! I don't have anything against prosperity.
    I thought I had made a mistake until I realised that it was just an error.

This will be an interesting scenario to keep an eye on. I get the impression there's not too many unionised trucking companies in Canada, so this could open the floodgates if the Teamsters are successful.

Buzz job's gonna be thrilled ..lol

About 3 months ago one of the "higher ups" at Challenger asked me if I had heard anything about some drivers trying to organize, and at that time I had not.I was told that there were a few employees making noise about joining the Teamsters .We have a few "wing-nuts" around there and these were the ones talking union.

I never have and never will have any use for any union,Teamsters or otherwise,so they will never get dime one out of my pockets. I guess they are hard up to get anyone to sign a union card since there membership has been falling for years,but to try and organize an over the road longhaul company is just plain stupid and will never work.

How many union trucking companies are left in Canada today compared to back in the 70's and 80's.If the teamsters are so great why did all these union jobs disappear.Join a union and price yourself right out of a job.Look no further than all the unemployed auto workers..need I say more.

In my opinion the teamsters will never organize Challenger as long as Dan owns the place.

Quote Originally Posted by liner View Post
    to try and organize an over the road longhaul company is just plain stupid and will never work
    Same in the States?

Remember 1 thing Liner,

Out of all the Union Contracts signed by ANY 2 parties. One of the party is the employer. It makes you wonder why they would agree to a contract that will break them.
    I thought I had made a mistake until I realised that it was just an error.

I think if you work in a union shop, you don't have any choice about paying dues, though you don't necessarily have to sign up; but then you would lose some benefits (like death..) you may be entitled to.

I also think it's up to the workers to decide by a majority vote if they want a Union regardless of what an Employer may want. Once/if the Union gets in, then comes a first collective agreement.

Such a touchy subject. On the one hand people see unions as a detriment to a company making money. On the other there are still company abuses brought on to drivers.

A union and a contract usually level the playing field. Most of us can agree that the current system of company drivers and O/O's running down the road is broken and needs to be repaired. Low rates, increased red tape, and maverick truckers all take their toll on the good companies out there. If it takes a bunch of new unions to fix the issues then I am all for it.

However I don't believe that it is that simple. It takes two to tango. I was a part of a union for 5 years in my Millwright days. There were abuses on both sides of the table. I heard a lot of 'thats not my job' and a general overall feeling of ill will towards the company who was always the bad guy no matter what. The company wasn't made up of saints either but it seemed that nothing they could do was ever right.

One thing is for sure. I made the most money I have ever made in my life in a union environment. Nice benefits and an excellent pension plan. That said, that all went away when the company shut the doors. Was that the unions fault? One could argue quite successfully that it was due to the overall drop in demand of newsprint (We were a paper mill) but I am sure the high wages and benefits played a big part in the companies demise.

We also had a good grievance system as well. If the union member felt he was wronged in some way then he could grieve it and go from there. Lots of times the problems were BS, just some clown trying to get free money. These grievances wouldn't get past the first step. However there were some doozies that were won through the process and it worked at the time.

Unionizing is a solution. Is it the RIGHT one.....well time will tell.

It'll NEVER happen...truck drivers couldn't agree on the weather if they were ALL standing outside @ Challenger's terminal, so no way they are going to agree on this.

Dan has NO worries regarding this!

Seems odd that the teamsters are trying to organize all the Canadian Challenger divisions/entities but one...
    Last edited by buzzy; 12-29-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: what's it to ya?(ralph) removed links (buzzy)
    I'm not a baker, I don't sugarcoat anything!

If you're not skilled on the job, you could be killed on the job.

Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap
    Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled