www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPEED LIMETERS WHATS YOUR TAKE ON THEM?

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

Default SPEED LIMETERS WHATS YOUR TAKE ON THEM?

Our company has a 62 mi. an hr. speed limit at times it can be dangerous. especially when you are out west with the higher speed limits. I never have to worry about getting a speeding ticket cause i can't go fast enough I do find that there is a lot less stress on me at that speed.

I hate speed limiters, i think they are dangerous, I have been scared more than once when passing with a truck governed at 65. Maybe if they were governed at a sensible speed like 70 or 72 mph they would be safer.

My truck i drive now has no speed governor, and i like it that way!

3. Default Just me

I for one do not want every one running at the same slow speed as me(gov. at 103kph) It will make the right lane to crowded and interfere with me getting into centers for my Timmies. Not to mention how unsafe it will be.
    We have speed limits, increase the fines for C.M.V. and STRICTLY ENFORCE them. End of speeding problem
    Owner op`s should be left out of the installation discussion as they know or should the the ramifications of to many tickets
    No cheap freight---no cheap drivers--know what your AZ is worth
    Mighty hunter leaves wounded animal to suffer and die!!

4. Default

Thats another part of the O/O speed limiter, I don`t agree with Gov`t involvment to that extent in ANY private business
    No cheap freight---no cheap drivers--know what your AZ is worth
    Mighty hunter leaves wounded animal to suffer and die!!

here here. Nail the guys HARD that are speeding and let the rest of us run the truck at the best RPM for fuel and emmisions control within a reasonable speed allowance for hills and passing and taking in consideration for the situation.
    Its as simple as that but I have travelled the coke since it was invented and i cannot believe the speed and uncontrolled travel of a super b that I have ever seen . The drivers should be publicly flogged. its insane. The worst part is... I can count the number of cops I have seen in the last year on both hands and maybe one foot. There is going to be a horrible horrible disaster one day

Batting Practise Champion!

I have very seldom driven a truck that has no speed limiter. Most of my driving career has been spent in speed limited trucks. I don't have a problem with speed limiters. The company I'm driving for now (Aggressive Transport) has a company speed limit of 65 mph and I run a steady 100kph. The truck I drive is limited to around 67 - 68 mph and it's all OK with me. I don't have to worry about cops or constantly checking the mirrors, the company gets decent fuel and tire mileage. Our bonus depends partly on us not exceeding the speed limit and last week my bonus cheque was $3005.00 net. I found that most guys that are flying by me at 70, 75, and 80 mph are rushing to the next coffee shop or truck stop and I'm usually at my destination before the speed merchants get there. The truck I drive has 835,000 kms on it, original brakes, 2nd set of tires, and has averaged 8.8 mpg (Imperial) since I've been driving it. The way I look at the situation is that the less money the company has to pay out on maintenance and fuel, the more money they can pay me.
    Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

AWESOME. Nothing wrong with that kinda bonus. Most of my experience is with trains right from 1969. With the extra weight its hard to keep it under the speed limit at times without draggin off the company asbestos. So why not let it run a bit in the right situation. but most of the drivers are crazy these days. Out of control.
    I can blame it somewhat on HOS but really at the end of the month they haven't gottten any further and just wore out a truck in 30 days.
    I have been there in the early days.. peddling as fast as I can.. passing everything in sight. Wore my self right out til I realized that all the guys I passed ..pulled in 5 - 10 minutes after me after a 6-800 mile trip. They really should have been after guys like me . Anyways. My point is. No speed limiters no evidence. Nail the bad guys and there are alot of them to nail out there just set up on the Coke only one day and watch.......geeeeeeesh

Accremonious Guest

I have driven both and only received one speeding ticket and one warning in over a million miles. Having said that, I think from my experience jumping from one job to another, that about 65 to 70% of the Southern Ont. trucking companies are speed governed for several reasons. First, they get a better insurance rate, especially the autoparts linehaul operators who tend to hire some of the less intelligent types. At Verspeetens I saw guys who never ever did a circle check plus other nono's. Also the bigger companies tend to be managed by accountants, who have never stepped on a big truck clutch in their lives and it would be beneath their dignity to do so. These are the type of manager who do not understand the day to day realities of this industry yet are in charge. For instance, the HBC/Zellers people have the limiters set at 102KPH. They insist that the drivers use a Kadex recorder and when operating if your speedo touches 102 then you are required to take your foot off the accelerator and keep it under the 102! I left them when the agency tried to place me permanently there instead of on call because if you want me to drive at only 100KPH then set the Damn limiter at that speed. It would have been different if the units they had back then had been equipped with working cruise controls.
    You will find as I did that there are many mind sets in this industry and many different sets of circumstances. Why should a long haul outfit that runs to the West USA Coast through states with 70 and 75MPH limits be governed at speeds which will cause them to be holding up traffic? Like wise are Quebec and Ontario going to ban trucks from the USA and other Cdn Provinces where they are not required to use the ECM codes to castrate the engine designers parameters? Also if trucks are to be limited then it is mandatory that cars also be limited. There are studies that prove that in those states which have split speed limits for cars vs trucks, the accident rates are significantly higher for both frequency and severity, the latter being the more important! Michigan was among the worst places for this and it got worse when the Governor raised the car limit and lowered the truck limit, but don't stop the politicians from pandering to their electoral base. This move in Ont. and Que. is not based on statistics but is based on politics, plus in Ont. a 105KPH limit is a non issue with most of the major trucking companies since they already are limited at that or less!

Thought we all ready had speed limiters called the OPP.

better than that........we got little black and white rectangular signs with numbers on them, stuck on posts on every roadway in the province.
    You can't fix stupid