Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Canadian and U.S HOS A Comparison

Default New Canadian and U.S HOS A Comparison

New Canadian HOS:

1) 13 HOURS DRIVING following 8 consecutive hours off duty

2) NO driving after 14 hours on duty

3) MAXIMUM 16 hour work shift

4) 8 consecutive hours off duty and 2 "other" in 30 minute increments

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S HOS:

1) 11 hours driving following 10 consecutive hours off duty

2) NO driving after 14 hours on duty

3) No limit on work shift

4) 10 consecutive hours off duty
    You can't fix stupid

So basicly, if yuo stick under a 16 hour day, and drive by US rules the whole time, you're in the clear wherever you go, right?

[quote="Bookworm"]It has always been simpler for me to run the American hours no matter which side of the border I was on unless I could cross the border and then make it home or to the terminal prior to taking a couple days off.

Just my way of running

Dave[/quote

So basicly, if yuo stick under a 16 hour day, and drive by US rules the whole time, you're in the clear wherever you go, right?

WRONG AND WRONG... The NEW Canadian HOS will require a 36 (THIRTY SIX) Hour re-set as opposed to the American 34 (thirty-four) hour re-set.

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

Ralph i run the same way you do.But i still think the US HOS rules stink i always liked the 5&5 split.

My company spent hours and hours of computer time on different scenerios and it has come down to:

We are requesting our drivers to

run under U.S regulations with the exception of taking the 36 hour Canadian reset.
    You can't fix stupid

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

Why the 36 hr restart?

If you follow the U.S regulations and take the Canadian 36 hour restart you'll stay compliant on both sides of the border.

Don't forget. AFTER January first the Canadian logs will have a check box to indicate which cycle (70/7 day, 120/14 day) you are running under.

You CANNOT switch cycles midstream as we used too, and that box MUST be checked or you will be shut down.
    You can't fix stupid

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

BUZZY i usualy do my restart in the US but if in CANADA i still do the 34 & our safety dept. has never said anything to me.

ours has been lenient that way, too. however you could be placing yourself in violation of current canadian HOS as soon as you cross back into canada.

The new regs take effect Jan 1 /07 and we've been told will be a "soft enforcement" for 6 months.

LB you could very well be running legal depending on your downtime on the reset and the downtime at home base on the 120/14 day rule, but you gotta be careful.
    You can't fix stupid

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

Our company likes us to log it as you do it but i base everything at 60 mi. an hr.