www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: The Big Winterstorm

Default The Big Winterstorm

We are coming eastbound and driving since days in that terrible weatherfront and are now crossing the MO Stateline. It is getting dark and colder and the darn streets more icy by the minute, we have to find a safe place for the night, because driving is impossible.

That bad weather started already after we left LA and came on I- 15 . Dust storms and gusty winds blowing a semi right from the westbound, on eastbound, the same windgust blow an RV in the ditch.
    As we continued on I-40 our trip became a nightmare and I still think they have no salt in New Mexiko.The Interstate total covered with inches of ice, Semis overturned and I never saw so many 4 wheelers in the ditch.. In a short distance 4 doubles from FEDEX Ground overturned and badly damaged, a Driver on the CB said, two of this drivers didn't make it.
    Our prayers going out to all the families of drivers who lost their loveones in this terrible weather.
    Interstates always closed and you had to make always detours because of accidents. We saw in the weatherchannel that this storm would be all the way in front of us.
    Oklahoma was some kind of surprise . We already heard over the radio that is was very bad there. It was the worst, 4 wheelers right in front of us went in the ditch , we stopped counting them, a Werner truck on the westbound total burned out and semis wrecked all over the place.

I saw myself 3 times in the ditch as my truck started skidding over the ice, but each time I was able to get control over it. So we are looking now to find a place at Petro after the Stateline in MO, but this idea had about hundred other trucks as well and huge lines are waiting to pull in.
    We passed Petro well knowing that Flying J is only a few miles down the road. Arriving there the same picture only more worse , because right in the Truck entrance a broke down semi blocked the traffic and was waiting for the towtruck.
    You can imagine that over CB channel 19 the hell was going on with all this angry truckers.

We thought we would have no chance to find our place for this night . By now streets and bridges are covered with ice again, no way to go anywhere.
    My co-driver jumped out of the truck and went inside the Flying J to talk to the manager to get permission to park outside with the 4 wheelers. Manager Bob was very friendly and gave us a safe place for this night.
    Sitting in our truck, warm , tired but safe for the night , as other truckers are still fighting for hours for a place to park.

Next day as we continued on I-44 East from Joplin MO towards St.Louis, still accidents all over the place and we counted 17 4wheelers in the ditch, but only 4 semis.
    As the sunlight hits the trees, it looks like they are made from crystal and diamonds. That was the result of ice rain and many branches couldn't hold this weight and broke off. I heard today that the people down there are still without power.

Our destination is Milwaukee, we still don't know what is ahead of us, because we still have to drive thru MO, IL, to WI always in the path of the storm.

It was still a rough drive to our delievery, it took almost one week to go there but WE MADE IT.

Harry,
    I heard how bad it was down there. My friend was coming out of Peoria on Sat, & CAT wouldn't let him pull the trailer out. The freight stayed there.
    My heart goes out to those in the accidents.
    Stay safe out there.

Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com

Lonleyboy_515 Guest

I got real lucky i was know where near the storm for once i was glad to be in the East coast down in Stamford CT. the next day i had to go back up to Montreal roads were good a dusting of snow but cold. We got a little bad weather that night & next morning as we made our way to Zanesville OH. We past an accident on 70 where an 18 had crossed the median & plowed in to 3 other 18s in a rest area they had to air lift one driver out to hospital as his tractor was totaled he was in the bunk sleeping .I hope he is alright.There was just so many wrecks that day. I heard there was a bad one on 75 sb in Michigan that day also where a driver didn't make.

Yes it was a bad day for wrecks.
    Holly
    no sir I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying

www.sosoconvoy.com