www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: OTR as a second career in Maritimes

Default OTR as a second career in Maritimes

Good morning,

I'm looking at long haul driving as second career. I live in the Fredericton area. Trans Canada College is the closest trainer offering both a 12 week ‘internship’and a 6 week 1E program.

I’ve spoken to a few recruiters, most of the big companies around here support the 12 weekprogram, I think mostly because you do 8 weeks at the school then 4 weeks unpaid with a trainer at the company.

AYR doesn’t support the internship. They want you with the 1E course, then take you for 12weeks of training getting paid 14, 16, then 18 cents a mile the truck movesover the next 12 weeks. If you’re good to go, then will start sending you across the border. They do all slip seating and claim that you’ll rotatethrough 3 or 4 trucks regularly.

Midland supports the internship, then puts you in a team for 2 yrs.

Clarke will take you on for 6 weeks to finish the internship, paying you for the extra two weeks then cut you loose in your own truck, no slip seating.

I read some comments about not working for the maritime companies because their pay rate is lower than ontario.

Is it possible to get hired on to an ontario or quebec company but live in the maritimes?

Any advice on the good bad and ugly out here on the east coast?

Thanks amillion for any comments.

Default Re: OTR as a second career in Maritimes

I don't know specifics about carriers in the Maritimes but can tell you slip seating brings with it a whole bunch of problems relating to how the other drivers keep the truck.

Team driving for two years would be a deal breaker for me. Your home time would suffer because you'd be on the road for longer periods (teams usually make long trips). I assume you are middle aged and being cooped up in a truck with someone you don't know is much, MUCH harder than living with a wife 24 hours a day, whom I assume you have good feeling for.
    Silence is the only successful substitute for brains ...
    --
    Cheers
    Maxx

Ya, I'm 54. The idea of team driving for a long period, unless it was my wife, isn't for me. For training, necessary evil.

I'm leaning towards Clarke, their mileage rate is reasonable, for here. Also maybe Atlantic Pacific. They are flat bed exclusive. This is assuming they have capacity to take on an interns at the time.

4. Default Re: OTR as a second career in Maritimes

Welcome Johnny. I'm in NB also. Have been driving on and off for 20 years. I would suggest you talk to someone at Armour. They are a very good company with a good reputation. It is very true that you get paid less with local carriers compared to some Ontario carriers but as newly licensed driver you will be paid even less for the first year for just about any carrier. Once you get that first year in you'll have a better chance of being hired with a carrier that pays more. I've worked for the same private carrier for most of my career with a couple of other small outfits. I prefer smaller carriers because you're not just a number, you're a member of a team/family. Money is not the main reason I am where I am, my happiness is.

The questions you need to ask yourself is do you want to do long haul and be on the road for a possibility of 1-3 weeks at a time or want to stick around the Maritimes where you can be home every night or every weekend. If you're in it for the money I can tell you right now look for something else. It is expensive to do long haul especially if you want to go stateside. You can't cross the border with certain foods so you can't really stock up your fridge before a trip and a lot of Walmarts now won't let you in their parking lots in the US which leaves you relying a lot on truck stops for foods and supplies. Just something to think about. Be very wary of recruiters as it is their job to promise you the world only to find out none of it was true.

I would suggest if you really want to know if a company you are considering is maybe a good fit for you just call them and ask if you could go and visit their facilities for a few hours and meet with some drivers/staff just to get a feel for them.

I do what I do because I love my job and the places I go not because the paycheck is big.

This is my second career although I tried to have a third but didn't work out due to a physical injury which left me with a disability while in training. I burnt myself out once before doing this job but am good now. I've learned a lot on how to handle my stress and there is only so much you can do in a day. A lot of things are beyond my control and my only job is going from point A to point B safely.
    I'm not small, I'm fun sized

Thanks for the response and great advice.The $$ isn't my primary focus. If it was I'd move to Ontario and stay in my current field.I'm up for something new and that I think I might enjoy. We'd also like to move to NS in a couple years.Apperently I have to take the TOWES. Should be interesting. I used to coach for it and administer it.Posted via Mobile Device

6. Default Re: OTR as a second career in Maritimes

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Thanks for the response and great advice.The $$ isn't my primary focus. If it was I'd move to Ontario and stay in my current field.I'm up for something new and that I think I might enjoy. We'd also like to move to NS in a couple years.Apperently I have to take the TOWES. Should be interesting. I used to coach for it and administer it.Posted via Mobile Device
    TOWES??? Never heard of it
    I'm not small, I'm fun sized

I too wondered what "TOWES" was but Google came to the rescue .... http://www.towes.com/en/home/home
    Silence is the only successful substitute for brains ...
    --
    Cheers
    Maxx

Test of workplace essential skills.Posted via Mobile Device

I know Contrans had some drivers who lived in Nova Scotia, Brookefield is owned by Trans force too so I would see their trucks at the Hagersville ON yard. Contrans used to have a good program for training new drivers fresh out of school.Posted via Mobile Device