www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you haul???

1. Default Re: What do you haul???

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoJoe View Post
    When I retired in 2009 I left a dream job (for me). 1 trip per week (usually 3 1/2 - 4 days) from Langley, BC to the Bay area and then to the Salinas Valley for a load of produce for home. Well equipped, well maintained assigned company truck, paid for border crossings, every drop and pickup were paid, terrific company to work for.
    Wow retired 11 years. What do you do to pass time? Great companies are getting harder to come by these days. We're only two full time drivers now we had two pass away of cancer in 2018 and one retired for good last year. My boss is afraid to loose us because good dedicated drivers who show up everyday on a moments notice are very hard to come by around here.
    I'm not small, I'm fun sized

Batting Practise Champion!

Default Re: What do you haul???

I've built a small (9L x 6W x 10H) shop that I use to fix neighbourhood stuff like bikes, lawn mowers, etc. I have developed an interest in miniature steam engines, particularly coal burning, and have belonged to a Model Engineering Society for the past 12 years. I have two Smooth Fox Terriers (a 7 yr old retired show girl and a 3 yr old oversized male) that keep me very active. These activities plus maintaining my physical systems eats up all the time I have, I have no time for work.
    Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

What can I say? Considering I was supposed to be semi-retired and slowing down, it seems I've got busier. Last May I was asked to take over as a Safety Director for a 40 truck fleet. I was overwhelmed when I was asked to be #3 man in the outfit.

Then, we opened an office and yard in Laredo, Tx and are now putting the finishing touches on a 3rd office and yard in Halifax, NS. The 40 truck fleet has grown to almost 90 power units in total and 250 trailers.

In the middle of it all, I had a 3rd party fault car accident in October. Spent 2 months in agony thinking I finally screwed my knee up enough it was going to need major surgery. I didn't have the time so I ignored the pain and carried on.

A month ago, I gave in and went for my semi-annual check up, a year and a half late, but I went.

My Doctor got me an appointment with a knee guy right away. I've been getting injections that appear to be helping, and will know in a couple of weeks if we continue injections or go for minor or major (replacement) surgery.

In the mean time the frequent flyer miles are adding up and my waist line is shrinking. I've lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks. Another 25 to go for the first goal.

So, my apologies. I have checked in occasionally but there is only so many hours in a day. and i like to sleep 2-3 of them a day.
    You can't fix stupid

4. Default Re: What do you haul???

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
    What can I say? Considering I was supposed to be semi-retired and slowing down, it seems I've got busier. Last May I was asked to take over as a Safety Director for a 40 truck fleet. I was overwhelmed when I was asked to be #3 man in the outfit.

Then, we opened an office and yard in Laredo, Tx and are now putting the finishing touches on a 3rd office and yard in Halifax, NS. The 40 truck fleet has grown to almost 90 power units in total and 250 trailers.

In the middle of it all, I had a 3rd party fault car accident in October. Spent 2 months in agony thinking I finally screwed my knee up enough it was going to need major surgery. I didn't have the time so I ignored the pain and carried on.

A month ago, I gave in and went for my semi-annual check up, a year and a half late, but I went.

My Doctor got me an appointment with a knee guy right away. I've been getting injections that appear to be helping, and will know in a couple of weeks if we continue injections or go for minor or major (replacement) surgery.

In the mean time the frequent flyer miles are adding up and my waist line is shrinking. I've lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks. Another 25 to go for the first goal.

So, my apologies. I have checked in occasionally but there is only so many hours in a day. and i like to sleep 2-3 of them a day.
    Holy molly. I guess you have been busy. I do hope your knee will get better and if you do need surgery that you'll but running circles around the young guys soon enough. I've heard somewhere that taking shots for too long can be harmful but I don't know if there's any truth to it. Seems like every fleet is expanding these days or getting bought out.

5. Default Re: What do you haul???

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoJoe View Post
    I've built a small (9L x 6W x 10H) shop that I use to fix neighbourhood stuff like bikes, lawn mowers, etc. I have developed an interest in miniature steam engines, particularly coal burning, and have belonged to a Model Engineering Society for the past 12 years. I have two Smooth Fox Terriers (a 7 yr old retired show girl and a 3 yr old oversized male) that keep me very active. These activities plus maintaining my physical systems eats up all the time I have, I have no time for work.
    Sounds like a good fun hobby. I took welding during my time away from the wheel in 2014 during which time I broke my wrist while rollerbladding go figure. Couldn't do anything for two years. I hope to set a mobile welding unit on the side. I do have all the equipment just need to get back under the helmet and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
    Holy molly. I guess you have been busy. I do hope your knee will get better and if you do need surgery that you'll but running circles around the young guys soon enough. I've heard somewhere that taking shots for too long can be harmful but I don't know if there's any truth to it. Seems like every fleet is expanding these days or getting bought out.
    Depends on the shots. I usually switch between Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. The doc says 2 shots of cortisone in the knee maximum.
    You can't fix stupid