www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Kitchener driver says she left Loblaws after lack of overtime pay

1. Default Kitchener driver says she left Loblaws after lack of overtime pay

Jennifer Goldup had high hopes when she became a truck driver at the Loblaws Cambridge distribution Centre in 2013.

The Kitchener woman had worked as a truck driver most of her adult life, but never for such a large company. She figured she'd stay there until retirement.
    She says she ended up working 48 to 56-hour weeks without overtime, while taking care of her terminally ill husband.

By September 2018, she hit a breaking point. She decided to quit her job.
    Goldup says lack of overtime pay was one of the reasons

"It became so toxic and so depressing and miserable that you can't stand to go to work anymore," said Goldup.
    "The environment is so tense because you know they weren't paying overtime," said Goldup.

Last year, an arbitrator found Loblaws violated Ontario's Employment Standards Act for not paying drivers overtime after the required 44 hours a week.

The company has not yet paid the back wages or changed the way it compensates its drivers.

Loblaws has challenged the ruling. It filed a judicial review and is waiting for a decision by the Ontario Divisional Court.

In a statement to CBC News, Loblaws says it has calculated the disputed overtime money and is paying it into a trust account as it awaits the court decision.
    'We're worth it'

Max Bauer, who practices employment law at Morrison Reist Krauss in Kitchener, says he often sees violations under Ontario's Employment Standards Act.
    The legislation sets out the rights and responsibilities of employees and employers in most Ontario workplaces.

"On a daily basis, I see violations of the Employment Standards Act when people come in. It could be something as simple as calculating someone's vacation pay when they're terminated," said Bauer.
    Bauer expects employers will take note of the Loblaws case.

"Proactive employers are going to look at this case and say 'oh look look what we're doing, this is very similar, maybe we need to review this and address anything that's offside," said Bauer.
    As for unions and employees, he hopes it will "empower people to ask questions."

Goldup says she's glad she left Loblaws last year. She says she works as a truck driver for another company now where she hasn't encountered the same problems. Her message for Loblaws remains the same.
    "Pay [drivers] overtime. I think we're worth it."

Source of this article and other great articles
    I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Default Re: Kitchener driver says she left Loblaws after lack of overtime pay

And it reflects in the way their drivers perform on the road.

You get what you pay for.
    You can't fix stupid

It's funny, there's all this talk in the industry about driver shortages; the real shortage is with ethical trucking companies. The few that do operate with integrity aren't the ones snivelling and whining about a driver shortage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Actually there is shortage of QUALIFIED DRIVERS.

I recruit, hire and terminate drivers. Because of insurance company requirements, (read mandate), I have difficulty finding drivers (not steering wheel holders) qualified to haul steel, run across the country and/or to run across the border.

We are in south central Ontario. For us, qualified includes mountain experience.

We pay our company drivers well and are about to increase the package again,

Our O/O's are paid extremely well, including layovers. This is in the process of being increased again.

New breed drivers want to work 8 hours but be paid 12, Don't want weekends or Mondays or Fridays, get extremely upset when I fail them on a company road test, even though MTO passed them 6 months before., and have the audacity to call bovine excrement when I find they have not done a required pre-trip. You'd be surprised how many miss the short dipstick, pink ribbon on a brake chamber or tag on an air bag, even after they get 2 weeks notice, i will be doing checks from dates A to B.

I require at least 2 years experience. Trust me, if it was up to me, I'd like more before I sent anyone up the Coq, or Donner. Let alone anywhere north of Edmonton. But, because the numbers just aren't there like 20 years ago, 2 years minimum.
    You can't fix stupid

Companies should post their mileage rate and particulars regarding pay. Qualified drivers could sift through the possible candidates quickly without having to go through a painful ear massage with recruiter.