www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: Not a good time

Default Not a good time

So life has taken a massive downturn. Last week I began to feel strange in my legs and feet but I left to go to Clavet, SK on Tuesday to deliver my load. When I arrived I began to feel weak and tired at even the simplest tasks. I let my dispatch know and they were planning a few hours off at the end of my next load. I made it clear that I needed more, I needed to get home and see a doctor ASAP!

I was finally pointed towards home on Wednesday evening and my wife met me and took me to Brandon Hospital (MB). There I was (wrongly) diagnoses with a viral infection and sent home at 3:00am!

On Friday morning I was feeling much worse and called our Health Links line in Manitoba to get advice. When I told my symptoms, I was told to get to hospital ASAP. Which I did.

I went to Dauphin Hospital emergency and was really winded when I arrived. I was placed in a wheelchair and waited. Eventually I needed to use the bathroom and tried to stand and couldn’t. I was rolled into the bathroom and I reached for the handicap bar to pull myself up and ended up on the floor. After being rescued by two nurses, I was moved to the top of the emergency room list.

Eventually I was admitted to hospital without diagnosis because I couldn’t walk anymore. Unfortunately it was a Friday in a small city hospital, so very little happened until Monday. I was given a CT Scan and a Lumbar Puncture and finally got a diagnosis of Gillian-Barre Syndrome, a rare degenerative neurological illness.

The treatment is an infusion of synthetic blood products (IGIV) over five days. Yesterday morning prior to my first treatment I had lost use of my hands and arms. Luckily overnight that has returned. Today I had my second treatment and I await the results.

The prognosis is good. I’m otherwise healthy and that’s a big bonus. But there’s no quick fix. Getting back to “normal “ could take anywhere from six months to thee years! My hope is the shorter time but that’s not in my hands.

As you may know, I have an incredible faith in God and I have put my recovery in His hands. If it’s in you to pray, I’d appreciate prayers for myself and family, and if not just happy thoughts.

Thanks for reading

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Christian Trucker’s Story of Redemption http://www.ShinySideUp.ca

Batting Practise Champion!

Default Re: Not a good time

You get the happy thoughts, they are with you from here. Keep the faith, both in your God and in the medicos that are seeing to you. We have a lot of talented, knowledgeable, dedicated health care pros in Canada and it sounds like you have landed in the midst of some. Take Care.
    Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

I certainly wish you the quickest and best recovery possible.

For those of you not familiar with Guillain-Barre syndrome HERE IS A LINK
    Cheers
    Maxx

4. Default Re: Not a good time

I hope you get your health back very fast. My prayers are with you and your family.
    Please keep us informed when possible.

The best wishes

Harry
    I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Get well soon, Manitoba Trucker. Thinking about you.

Good luck.
    You can't fix stupid

Hoping for a speedy recovery; it sounds like you're already headed in the right direction.
    There's a nap for that.