www.expediterworld.com
www.brummionline.de
www.truckstopaustralia.com

Thread: internet load boards/brokers

Default internet load boards/brokers

Hello Drivers

After 15 years on the road, I'm getting my own rig and trailer. But I am extremely reluctant to sign on to a carrier. I'd rather run my own show. After 15 years on the road, I am extremely skeptical and nothing bugs me more than having to take my marching orders from someone who knows less than I do, and to be at the mercy of someone who does not have my best interests in mind.

Are any of you independent operators running straight off internet load boards and/or brokers (just to get started)? Can you make ends meet on that long enough to get a few of your own direct customers?

Are there any internet load boards or brokers you would recommend?

Thanks

Default Re: internet load boards/brokers

LOL,

Good luck is all I can say. Freight rates suck and are going no where but down fast. I have 12 trucks and 22 trailers just come and write me a check and you can have it all. I have been at it since 97 and too many new companies that don't play buy the same rules or have any ethics in this business.

If you try and live (lol) and die (that is what will happen) by the load boards I will give you 6 months. Here in Ontario idiots are hauling for a buck a mile outbound and 175-2 bucks in. That is a losing proposition. I am fortunate that being at it as long as we have we haul over 75% of our own freight and work with some long term brokers that understand our service costs.

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    LOL,

Good luck is all I can say. Freight rates suck and are going no where but down fast. I have 12 trucks and 22 trailers just come and write me a check and you can have it all. I have been at it since 97 and too many new companies that don't play buy the same rules or have any ethics in this business.

If you try and live (lol) and die (that is what will happen) by the load boards I will give you 6 months. Here in Ontario idiots are hauling for a buck a mile outbound and 175-2 bucks in. That is a losing proposition. I am fortunate that being at it as long as we have we haul over 75% of our own freight and work with some long term brokers that understand our service costs.
    That's what I typically hear. But, as a great old trucker friend of mine once said on the subject: "It's too late to become a gynecologist." Maybe the competition is stiffer out East. And I'm not looking to run 12 trucks. I want one. And maybe in the future, if it works out OK, 2 or 3. I don't have kids, and only 4-legged mouths to feed, so it's not as urgent for me. As long as I can pay myself enough to eat and pay the rent, and keep the truck running, I'm OK. But, if you can recommend a reputable broker, I'd be happy to hear it.

Batting Practise Champion!

A wiser man than I has often said that the way to make a million dollars in the trucking business is to start with two, million, that is.
    Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

Landstar lets you pick and choose your own loads and stay home when you want. Just an idea to look into.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    Landstar lets you pick and choose your own loads and stay home when you want. Just an idea to look into.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Landstar is inundated with Canadian trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I ran a bunch of loads under Landstar (under our own authority, not theirs), but we were in a niche and they paid very, very well. Aside from that, Landstar is pretty much like the rest of the industry; cutthroat and has its fair share of slimey operators (brokers).
    There's a nap for that.

Been there done that with loadboards.............never ever again! Brokers are cut throat pricks! The waiting time to get paid is atrocious. They will suck you dry and NOT in a good way. Might be good for big outfits looking for loads LD back if desperate for fuel money. Been on my own for 17 years local and the best luck I've had is the old knock on the door and talk face to face. Not easy finding work and even harder find a co. that will pay decent and in decent time

Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    LOL,

If its so bad out there why are you still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If its so bad out there why are you still in business?
    He answered it right in his post about having 75% of his own stuff to move and working with a few good brokers and customers..... I'm sure he would be out of business already if that wasn't the case.Posted via Mobile Device